With WFAN’s firing of Imus, New York talk radio station WABC moved aggressively to add Imus to its lineup. Recently BIA Financial Networks released 2007 revenue rankings of New York radio stations, including both WFAN and WABC. No surprise to I-Fans, BIA results show WFAN revenues significantly dropping off on a year over year basis.
Comparing WFAN 2007 to WABC 2007 results provides the key to WABC’s programming move to Imus. Netting it out, Imus has the potential to double WABC results for 2008!
WFAN (660 AM) fired Don Imus in April 2007 and saw revenue drop $13 million for the year. Imus’ new home, WABC (770 AM), wants an Imus boost in 2008
Advertising ranking by revenue ($M) for 2007, (2006).
5. WFAN $37.5 ($50.6)
14. WABC $23.1 ($23.4)
Compiled by BIA Financial Network,
Source: DAVID HINCKLEY, New York Daily News
- Impact to WFAN on an annualized basis is approximately $22.7M!
- WABC total revenue for 2007 is $23.1M!
- WABC results for 2007 is about WFAN’s annualized Imus loss!
- WABC results from 2006 to 2007 down $.3M! Wrong Direction!
- Should be no doubt – Citadel depending on Imus to improve results!